I once tried this dish in a buffet restaurant and fell in love with it. I did not post about this restaurant because the rest of the food was terrible, but for $18 and an unlimited supply of freshly cooked prawns (and exposure to such a delicious dish), it was worth it. I was never a fan of salted eggs but this is an exception.
- 350g prawns
- 1/2tsp salt
- 1tsp soya sauce
- 1 egg white
- 1tbsp corn starch
- cooking oil
- white pepper
- 50g corn flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 salted egg yolks
- 1 sprig curry leaf
- 1 chili padi, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Peeled, wash and pat dry prawns and mix prawns with salt, soya sauce, egg white, corn starch and pepper and marinate for 1 hour.
- Steam and mash the salted egg yolks
- Coat prawn with corn flour thoroughly.
- In very hot oil in a deep frying pan, fry the prawns until crispy. It should take less than a minute.
- Discard the oil and set prawns aside on a plate.
- Sauté chopped garlic, chili and curry leaf in butter until fragrant.
- Add salted egg yolks and stir constantly to prevent it from burning.
- Stir until it disintegrates to become like a paste.
- Add deep fried prawns when paste has bubbled and stir fry to combine.