My all-time favourite dessert is Tiramisu. I even dedicated category on this blog to hunt the best tiramisu down!
Occasionally, I would make tiramisu myself at home and this is the recipe I like best.
- 4 egg yolks
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp – 1tbsp rum or masala (it depends how alcoholic you prefer it to be)
- 1 cup heavy cream (35% fat)
- 250g mascarpone cheese.
- 18-24 savoiardi
- 1 – 2 cup espresso + 1 – 2 tsp sugar + ½ tsp rum or masala
- 1tbsp cocoa powder
- Over steam, whisk egg yolks and sugar until pale. This takes about 5 to 10 minutes. Let it cool.
- Add masala or rum into the egg yolk custard and mix well.
- Combine mascarpone into the egg yolk custard.
- Whip 1 cup of heavy cream till stiff peaks.
- Fold in the whipped cream. Place the mixture into the fridge.
- Prepare espresso mixture. While warm, dip the savoiardi on both sides briskly.
- Lay a layer of dipped savoiardi onto the container. Pour half of the mascarpone mixture onto the layer. Repeat.
- Cool tiramisu in the fridge for at least 4 hours or best 24 hours.
- When ready to serve, dust a layer of cocoa powder on the surface.
Tips for a good tiramisu:
- Get good flavouring. Be it marsala, rum, or even tiramisu flavour, as long as your flavour sucks the whole thing will suck. The original calls for marsala but I haven’t been able to get my hands on that yet. You can get rum essence from baking stores for about $3 for 28ml. Shop & Save has matured rum in 180ml for $8.80.
- Make sure the coffee it is soaked in is strong enough, or else the savoiardi would be tasteless and soggy.
- Soak it in warm coffee, not cold, as it will not absorb cold liquid well.
- Soak it just enough. It must be soaked through. Unsoaked savoiardi are not nice to eat.
- Do not follow recipes which call for no eggs because it won’t be rich.
- Some call for egg whites but I have never tried. No comments about that because the idea of raw egg whites put me off.
- I am not pro enough to tell the difference between the different brands of store bought mascarpone and savoiardi so I have no idea. I just get the cheapest. I have no tried making my own yet. The savoiardi I got cost $3.80 for 20 pieces and the mascarpone $6.85 for 250g. They’re from Cold Storage.
Initial colour of the egg yolk and sugar.
Pale yellow egg yolk custard.
Folding in whipped cream.
A layer of soaked savoiardi.
Cocoa powder dusted onto the surface.
Slice and serve!