A random trip to Phoon Huat one day sparked the impulse to make tiramisu again, after seeing the ingredients on their shelves. Tiramisu is my favourite dessert and I like it to be as classic as can be. I do not fancy modern versions like strawberry flavours, green tea or earl grey tea-ramisu. Nothing beats the original combination!
- 250g mascarpone cheese
- 2 egg yolks
- 50g granulated sugar
- 4 Tbsp sweet marsala wine (alternatives are kahlua, Bailey’s, rum or rum flavouring)
- 120ml – 150ml heavy cream or thickened cream (before whipping)
- 10 – 12 savoiardi
- 2 shots espresso made to 350 – 400ml, with 1tsp sugar, cooled
- Cocoa powder to dust
- Bring mascarpone cheese to room temperature to soften.
- Over a pot of boiling water, beat egg yolks and sugar until pale and creamy. The mixture is done when it’s sticky and custard like. Add in the alcohol or flavouring of your choice.This is called zabaione.
- Set zabaione aside to cool.
- Beat mascarpone cheese until it is smooth and creamy.
- Pour the cooled custard mixture into the mascarpone cheese and mix well.
- Beat heavy cream until soft peaks, resembling whipped cream.
- Fold in whipped cream into mascarpone mixture. Chill it in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Prepare a container.
- Dip the savoiardi on both sides for a few seconds each into the espresso until just soaked through and lay the bottom of the container. Repeat to form one layer. Spread a 1 inch layer of mascarpone mixture, and repeat with the savoiardi.
- The final layer should be mascarpone cheese. Chill in fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight for best results.
- Dust on a layer of cocoa powder before serving.
- Compared to a recipe I used 4 years back, this recipe has higher mascarpone to zabaione ratio.
- Using thickened cream (which is cream + gelatine) will yield a cream layer with better hold. This is ideal for tiramisu.
- Try to get good tasting alcohol and espresso. Rum flavouring is not the best substitute.
- Use Valrhona cocoa powder if you can.
First layer of soaked savoiardi
Layering cream and savoiardi
Dusted with Valrhona cocoa powder after setting overnight