Chocolate cupcakes with chocolate cream cheese and valrhona crunchy chocolate pearls. I happen to have all the ingredients required for this, lying around my kitchen, so there’s no reason not to try it out!
This is my second attempt at chocolate cupcakes, with a totally different recipe. It turned out much better than my first attempt but surely there’s still room for improvement! Nevertheless, this recipe is already quite good in my opinion.
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp cake flour (or all purpose flour)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/4 cup of canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 180⁰C. Line a muffin tray with cupcake liners.
- Sift together the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Add the egg, milk, oil, and vanilla then beat together with a mixer until combined.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl then add the boiling water and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter each liner.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool completely before frosting.
- Use a good quality cocoa powder as the flavour depends greatly on this. I suggest Hershey’s or Valrhona and advise against baking store brands.
- The batter will be very watery so it is normal.
Do not fill the cupcake liner to the brim. A lower cupcake is better in overall texture, when you take a bite. Do remember that it will rise too.
Chocolate Cream Cheese
Frosts about 30 cupcakes
- 50g bitter chocolate, melted
- 125g cream cheese
- 55g unsalted butter
- 1/2 Tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup icing sugar
- 1tbsp whole milk
- Cream butter and sugar until smooth and creamy
- Add icing sugar, sifted and mix well
- Add in melted chocolate and vanilla extract and mix well until completely combined
- Add milk and mix on medium high for 30 seconds
- The portion of the frosting is double of the cupcakes, but if there’s too little frosting it will be hard to mix it with a mixer.
- If you can get your hands on valrhona crunchy chocolate pearls, do top them on your cupcakes!